Wednesday, August 10, 2011

More Treasures

Years ago when my children were small, and before we even owned a computer, I subscribed to a quilting magazine that hosted block swaps.  I always looked forward to getting my new magazine so I could swap blocks with others through mail.  This was my only connection to the  'outside' world of quilting.  :o)  We've come a  long way, haven't we?  I found a box of swap blocks in the attic yesterday.  Believe it or not, Penny never did anything with hers... okay, yes,  you can believe it!   I will be showing off my 1980's blocks over the next few days.  Most of them are signed, so let me know if you happen to know any of these quilters from all over the country.                                                                                                                  
 Next, I found approx. 30 flowers that I hand pieced many years ago.  Boy, I was ambitious, wasn't I?  Isn't it funny that I got a lot more done when my kids were little, than I do now.... now with no young kids at home, working two days a week, and very few distractions!!???  With all this time, I accomplish very little... :o(
Needless to say, I can never imagine myself completing a Grandmother's flower garden quilt,
 BUT, I may be able to sew them onto a smaller background  and make baby quilts like this one:
This is an oldie that I bought for $5 (I think) at a 'junk' store in eastern NC.  It's been one of my favorites through the years.  (and yes mom, Sweet Pea loves this blanket! It's her favorite!) 
** More treasures tomorrow**

8 comments:

  1. Penny, you could make lots of quilts just from all these blocks!

    Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so funny that you always leave the last sentence especially for me. I'm loving seeing all the stuff you are showing from your attic. You need to let me see that boat quilt one more time. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Penny,
    Oh so pretty.
    Hugs,
    Mrs. E

    ReplyDelete
  4. What treasures and memories you have found in your attic. I think the flowers would make a wonderful baby quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I participated in some block swaps with an online quilting group back in the 80's/90's. It was fun way to make scrap quilts, because you ended up with so many fabrics! I love your Grandmother's Flower Garden blocks! Those are so hard to make!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You need to join One Flower Wednesday http://journeyofaquilter.blogspot.com/2000/06/sign-in-sheet-for-june-9-2010.html
    and you'll be making more hexagons in no time! Come play along each week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always liked this pattern. there are so many different variations and I just like the shape. Your quilt is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have come a very long way! I love that baby quilt with the flowers.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I do my best to respond to every comment, but if you are a no reply blogger, I sometimes cannot locate your email. Also Anonymous comments are almost impossible for me to reply. But I do appreciate you stopping by!