Friday, March 21, 2008

It is over... sniff sniff


Yesterday was my last day of work. When I woke up and got dressed for work, I thought to myself "oh, this is easy, I'm not going to cry." When I drove into the parking lot, a swarm of butterflies entered my stomach like never before. I walked into work, clocked in, put my cokes into the fridge, and as always, went by my best friend's office to say hello. When I walked in, there she sat, with tears in her eyes. She handed me a card, that I started to open, but then I started to cry too. I took the card, unopened, and put it into my tote, and told her "not now... maybe later." We hugged and I went to my station. As I arrived at my station, people started to hug me, and I cried. I went for coffee, pulled myself together, and called my son to bring my "dope" to me. Once my dope arrived, I knew it would be okay. :o) Around noon, I was paged to the private dining room where all my friends and coworkers were waiting. They had all brought a covered dish (it was like a homecoming dinner at church!) and they showered me with gifts. My friend and I both cried during the whole thing, but we made it through. The day got better after the luncheon. I was able to say goodbye to most without crying, until the end of the day, as I was telling my patients and their families goodbye. A few of them cried... and I cried. Whew, what a day! I can honestly say that yesterday's party was probably the best party I've ever had in my life... I felt loved... and that's all any of us can ask for... is to be loved!
On, to new beginnings.... I talked to a friend on Wednesday night who still works at the job I will be returning to after 11 years. She made me excited about returning to my old job and I am truly looking forward to relearning the things I used to do there. My heart is a little heavy this morning, but the sun is shining, the birds are singing... and I'm looking forward to moving on.
Have a wonderful day!

8 comments:

  1. I see one of the here or there folks has come by... Don't click on it.. Go to your side bar and click on this post... sometimes when you do that you can see the trash can icon to delete this person... doing it twice will get all of it off...

    NOW... I'm sniffing too!!... It is hard making changes in life! You can always return to visit your younguns' and see your friends again...

    It is pretty here... but cold...brrr..

    Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so blessed to have such good co-workers and friends. I know your new job will be the same. I love your goodbye picture --it is precious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was about to cry just reading this post. Sometimes I want to make changes in my job and where I live and when it comes right down to it, I'd be really sad to make those changes. But, we move on sometimes to better and greater things. Your new job, home and town sound really exciting. I'm glad you are going with hubby. You'd be so lonely til after May.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an emotional day that had to be. Saying goodbye is never easy, so I always just like to say, see you around. How nice for you though to feel all that appreciation and love. On to a new adventure.

    Happy Easter - Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. You reminded me of my last day at work before Goose was born. It was so sad! I couldn't wait for the day to end because it was so emotionally exhausting. I hope you love your new/old job just as much as the one you're leaving! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You'll be in my prayers as you head out to start the new! You brave woman you!

    Hope your Easter was Blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, you are so lucky to be so honored and loved! It's sooo hard to move on to new things- jobs, homes, cities. But there are new friends waiting to be met, new neighbors who will love you as well. You have a big heart and anyone who has visited your blog knows this. You will hurt for a while, but it's the good kind - the "I-know-I-am-loved" kind. Let yourself feel all of the emotions. And look forward to all those new people you will undoubtedly touch for the better!
    Colleen
    ps- yes, I'm "between" jobs right now. And I too, know something else is out there for me! Hang in there :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I do my best to respond to every comment, but if you are a no reply blogger, I sometimes cannot locate your email. Also Anonymous comments are almost impossible for me to reply. But I do appreciate you stopping by!