Sunday, April 15, 2018

A Baby Boy Quilt for Soren

I finished up a baby quilt for a cousin's baby boy, who is due to arrive in July.


I used my 'go to' baby quilt pattern from one of  the Eleanor Burns books.  It's an easy quilt and makes a nice size for a play blanket for inside or outside.  The green squares were totally from scrap pieces, but I had to buy the blue fabric and backing fabric.  Now that I'm not working at a paying job, I am beginning to pay more attention to how much fabric costs these days!!  whew!


This is not a very good picture of the backing fabric, but the backing makes me happier than the pieced top.  You can see it better in the next photo.


Aren't those critters so cute???


This is a sneak preview of my new porch being built on the back of my house.  It's not very large, but so much safer than what we had, which was just a set of steep brick steps.  I hope the porch will be finished later this week and I will try to remember to share completed pic's.  (that's 11 year old Sweet Pea in the background)


If you click to enlarge, you can see little orange embroidery stitches made to try to brighten up the top of the quilt.  There is quite a pop of orange in the background fabric, so I added a few orange stitches on front.  Hopefully, baby Soren will get to use this quilt for a long time.



So, I saw this beautiful quilt by Jen Kingwell in a quilting book and immediately thought this would make a great hand piecing project for me.  You are seeing all seven of the blocks that I made and decided to stop.  They are all very wonky and were difficult to get consistently sized.  In all fairness,  I traced and made my own templates, which may have added to the confusion, but I've decided to look for another less challenging piecing project.  I really enjoy hand piecing while watching tv or listening to the radio.


Here's a picture my girls sent to me from Easter.  Annabelle turned 3 last month and I'm amazed at how well she is talking and just growing up overall.  My other grandbabies took a big trip to Florida and took in several amusement parks during their Easter vacation.  I think they had a wonderful time!


And..... she now has 12 chickens.  Our little girl is a chicken lover.  She is just like her mommy, loves animals of all kinds.

That's about it:

I have read a couple of really good books.

 GIRL IN THE SONG by Chrissy Cymbala Toledo    (this could almost be my life story)

I am currently reading a funny older one (2006) by Fanny Flagg:  CAN'T WAIT TO GET TO HEAVEN 
She has such a way of describing us Southerners and this book is a hoot.  I should finish it up by tomorrow, I hope.

I'm trying to pick up real 'paper and print' books from my own stash to read, instead of using my kindle so much.    I have so many that I haven't read , so my goal is to read through them, so I can pass them along and clear out room for more!

15 comments:

  1. Your quilts are gorgeous! Lovely. Family is worth so much.
    Blessings to you,
    d

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love how the quilt turned out! Love the colors, the pattern and the orange stitching. The back, like you said, is perfect and adorable. I love your pictures of it too. The one with Sweet Pea in the background looks like a painting!

    I love the picture of Annabelle with the chicken too! LOL

    I think the hand pieced blocks turned out great. I love that you do hand piecing, or stitching while watching tv. Also, the reading! Sounds so good to me!

    I'm still quilting while watching tv every night. When I finish this quilt, I plan to do more hand stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilt, I love the fabric with animals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read the Fanny Flagg book a long time ago and enjoyed it. I like all of the authors books.
    I used to collect chicken items...no real chickens though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the quilt, both sides! How lucky they are to get a gift like that. Porch is looking nice. That is adorable that Annabelle loves chicken. Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't go wrong with classic Nine Patch blocks. And that is such cute backing fabric.
    Looks like a very difficult hand piecing project. You made 7 more blocks than I would have! LOL
    Oh, love the little granddaughter with the chicken. My grandpa was a chicken farmer and I spent many afternoons playing with baby chicks, feeding the chickens, and gathering eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely baby quilt, love those Jen Kingwell blocks, shame you weren’t totally happy with them.
    Cute pics of your granddaughter and daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the baby quilt you made and I'm sure it will be very treasured for a long, long time. Your granddaughter is just adorable. They do grow up so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely quilt that is and I love the backing fabric. Your granddaughter is just precious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a darling quilt!!! Those diamond blocks are lovely, but really scary to me, lol. Your granddaughter is so darling!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So bright and cheerful. The backing is adorable :-) I am sure it will be loved and cherished for a long time. 12 chickens??? That is a lot of eggs. Must make some quiche and soufflé.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The blue quilt and the darling backing are a great combo. 12 chickens is a big flock, my friend has 12 chickens and lots of eggs. She brings hard boiled eggs to Bible study each week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A very nice quilt and a full and wonderful life!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I do my best to respond to every comment, but if you are a no reply blogger, I sometimes cannot locate your email. Also Anonymous comments are almost impossible for me to reply. But I do appreciate you stopping by!