Saturday, March 17, 2018

Penny Squares

I've always loved redwork and am fascinated by Penny Square quilts.  I have always thought it would be fun to make one, but will I ever do such a time consuming thing? 



*** Do you ever wonder what you would be working on if there was no internet to keep you distracted?***

We have so much to see and learn and do these days.   I used to look forward to getting my monthly quilt magazines for ideas and inspiration.  I would sit for days and look through the pages, over and over again, trying to take in all the details and goodness in each copy.  Now we have so much to see,  I tend to click, click, click and over stimulate my mind,  forget what I saw, and have a difficult time finishing anything. 

If I didn't have the internet,  I just might be working on a Penny Square quilt.  Or a state bird embroidered quilt. (I have a pattern)

But back to the Penny Square quilt....

Here is a history of penny squares that I found on the internet. 




I can just imagine the excitement of going to the store each week to pick out the next square.  I would have begged to go with my Mama or Daddy so I could spend time with the penny squares.  I have loved having a needle and thread in my hand since I was a little girl.

So what's a girl to do?


I  had ordered a 'cheater' cloth panel from ebay years ago. 

When I was cleaning up my sewing room, I found the panel, which had each block 'set' in red strips.  I wanted my penny square quilt to look more like those  old ones I had seen on Pinterest. (internet...lol)  So, I cut all the squares out and decided to make a doll quilt for my granddaughters' doll play.


Nothing fancy and I didn't have to stitch the squares.  I sat down last night and added all the X's and ta-da ! I have my own mini version of a Penny Square quilt.  I have quite a few blocks left, so I may make something a little larger for myself. 

Another fun and *mindless* project this week. 

So what do you think you would be working on if you didn't have internet?  Would you still be using templates?  Would you be hand stitching?  I just wonder how it would be.... probably not as many quilters, for sure!

14 comments:

  1. Penny squares!?

    I first learned about penny squares in "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn." Francie, the book's main character, is given her first penny square and spends some of her free time embroidering it. She relates that it was the ambition of little girls to complete enough squares to make an entire quilt.

    Your doll's quilt is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea. I have seen this before but never knew what it was. I am going to try this. As soon as I get caught up. *snort*

    ReplyDelete
  3. If not for the internet I would not be quilting or sewing, but I would love to give furniture making a try and I would be sketching or painting more often. I would also probably be playing the piano a lot more. Now that I think about it I need to get off the computer right now and go play.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how sweet those are.
    I might get a lot more done if it wasn't for the blasted computer.
    Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first time I saw red work on a pillow case, I was a fan. I had gone to a museum and on the bed were these old german pillow cases embroidered in red thread. So pretty. I can see why you like the red!
    Blessings,
    d

    ReplyDelete
  6. Penny sqaures suits your name! I did a bunch of redwork blocks at one time but gave them away. I think I would do a better job of stitching them now than I did then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have educated me about Penny Squares. I have never heard of them. Looks like an enjoyable type of needlework and the little doll quilt is so cute!

    Without the internet I would still be wearing out my Lap Quilting Book and getting quilting magazines. I stopped subscribing to them, but am still tempted by the junk mail I get from some of them trying to get me to subscribe.

    I still love to go through the magazines I have saved and the quilting books I have.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That doll quilt is so precious! I would love to learn how to quilt and sew. I wasn't very good at sewing in Home Ec in school, but I wish I would have tried harder. I have never heard of Penny quilts, but now that I see them, I'm in love!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Without the internet I have no idea what I would be working on, but I know my life would not be as rich. I have met so many wonderful quilters online and in real life. Can't imagine not having those friendships.
    Your sweet little dolly quilt turned out very well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The penny squares are really sweet. I've always liked them but I do not do quilting. I use to work on crewel pictures. I believe I would be in a happy place if I stayed away from the internet. I would certainly be doing the things I talk about doing but instead I get consumed with my computer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those penny squares in red stitches are darling. I read that if we stayed away from social media we could read 200 books a year. I do fritter away quite a bit of time on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love red work! In many ways I would probably be geting alot more sewing done - the internet can take alot of time but it does bring so many great ideas shared by so many talented people.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so cute! I think I would be reading more and possibly crocheting again if it were not for the internet. I will say though that the internet helps me keep in touch with friends, learn new things and entertains me, which is a good thing considering that I am home most of the time and have to rest a lot. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love redwork also and blackwork too! Pretty work that is!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I do my best to respond to every comment, but if you are a no reply blogger, I sometimes cannot locate your email. Also Anonymous comments are almost impossible for me to reply. But I do appreciate you stopping by!