Monday, May 7, 2018

A Busy May

Spring seems to have finally arrived and life has gotten busy. 

First beach trip done (kite)

We aren't having a garden this year, but we did set out three tomato plants and harvested a few asparagus stalks from our asparagus bed.  I plan to enjoy my dad's garden harvest this year.  He lives alone and has plenty for everyone.


This little girl had her vet visit and the vet recommended not removing her fat tumor.  She did perform a biopsy on it, so we know it's not cancer.  She's getting stiff and achy in her old age, but she can still tree a squirrel !  She's 11 years old now.

Brinley Kate

I visited with this little girl and her brothers for a couple of days.  We celebrated her 4th birthday on Saturday.  Grandma took her to get "birthday nails" on Friday and she wanted rainbow nails.  They are growing up quickly!!

Nursing home yo yo quilt
I had not visited the place I had worked in over two years, and I got a chance to stop by for a little visit.  We weren't allowed to have phones in the building when we worked, so I finally got a chance to take a picture of one of my favorite things there.  One of our patients made this yo yo quilt years ago and donated it to the activities department for auction.  The nursing home owner made the highest bid and had it framed and hung on the wall where this patient resided.  It has always been special to me.


This little girl's daddy built her a tree swing and she's been having a lot of fun.  She's growing up quickly too.  Grandma hopes to make a visit to TN to visit with her soon.


I brought out an old quilt top to work on and put it in my pvc frame for some hand stitching.  I could not seem to find a comfortable way to quilt, so I moved it to a hoop.

Slowly, but surely, I'm getting a little big stitch quilting done.  I made all these hexie flowers when my children were little ones.  Of course, I dreamed of a "real" grandmother's flower garden quilt, but this is the best it will get.  :-))


Here's one side of my sewing room since I rearranged the whole mess.  I like sewing better on this end of the room and hope to spend more time in there. I love having a whole room just for my fun stuff.


Good bye for now.... that' s me and Chandler in the caboose.... we took a train ride for Brinley's birthday party.  I have to get busy cleaning, because these same kids are coming to stay with me this weekend, while their Mama and Daddy go out on a big fishing boat.  Two weeks in a row!!!!!  I'm so excited to see them so soon.  Have a great week!

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful photo of you!!!!
    Such a beautiful family too!
    Enjoy your day.
    We cleaned this weekend.
    Today we will do school and then I have some ironing.
    Have a cozy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful quilt you are making, and also the yo yo quilt with its nice story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you enjoyed your time with the grands! Looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful week with getting to enjoy family.
    So glad your fur baby doesn't have cancer.
    Have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did you get the table cutout to be able to insert your sewing machine? Nice set-up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Penny... I love the photos you shared in this post... the kite is crazy! I have never seen a skeleton one before!!! Happy 5th to Brinley and enjoy all the fun that comes with having them for a weekend coming up too!!! I love the mischevious look in your eyes in that last photo for sure! lol
    As for your pvc frame versus hoop...use what you are comfy with.. but a rolling chair that sits low will work best with your pvc frame... and a comfy spot anywhere will work with your hoop! :)
    Seems we skipped most of spring and summer is rushing along this year! Thanks for blogging :D Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you have been busy. So many fun times. Love all the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beach time already - so jealous, lol! We won't have a garden this year, but we're planning for when we do. Happy to hear about your pup, that it's not cancer and she won't have to undergo surgery. Your grandchildren are ADORABLE!!!! Oh those little girl nails, lol, so sweet! The story behind that yo-yo quilt is wonderful, how lovely that the owner decided to keep it there, that is really special. I LOVE your grandmother's flower garden quilt, your quilting is gorgeous. And I'm really jealous of your great big table with the cutout for your machine!!! What a great sewing spot. The pic of you is fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. About 20 years ago I started a GFG quilt, too. My flowers are going to end up appliqued to muslin, too, but I think I will sash between them. You are way ahead of me!
    Love the peek into your sewing space. Very smart the way you have your machine set into that spacious table!
    Love the photo of you. Enjoy another weekend with the grands!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what a busy start to the month you have had and more busyness to come too! I love the quilt that you are hand quilting the big stitch quilting in. Love the pvc frame and the hoop too. Anything to do with quilting is good! The yoyo quilt in the nursing home is a treasure. I really, really love your sewing room. Its perfect and so neat. You will get lots of creative things done in there! Your grandchildren and so sweet. That's a great picture of you too! I'm glad your dog is doing good. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So good to see you, even in the caboose! You have been busy!! I love your sewing room arrangement and your hand quilting project-- all things old are new again, as hexies are the current rage. ;) Happy birthday to your granddaughter,they do grow up at the speed of light, it's true. Give your fur baby a hug from me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so pretty and look like you are having a great time with your grandkids! I love the quilt that you are working on also. I have always been drawn to old fashioned quilts because they are just so charming.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Look at you hand-quilting! There is something so comforting in that!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I love that you are still quilting, and are enjoying your lovely craft room. The Dachsund is adorable (as are the grandchildren, of course!) I bought a yo-yo Quilt on eBay a few years ago, knowing I would never make one. They are so joyful, aren’t they?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love seeing all of your projects. I have so many I've started over the years, but struggle with time right now to work on any, much less actually get finished:). But, someday...... In the meanwhile, I'm keeping busy with a big garden, kids, work, my house, and so forth.

    It looks like you get to spend plenty of time with your grandkids, which is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for your visit to my blog and your kind comments! Love that yo-yo quilt, it is so fun, and your hand stitching is lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I do my best to respond to every comment, but if you are a no reply blogger, I sometimes cannot locate your email. Also Anonymous comments are almost impossible for me to reply. But I do appreciate you stopping by!