Monday, January 29, 2018

Tiny Bindings and other things

I decided to try my hand at making a mini quilt  last week; of course, using my sudden yo yo obsession.




Things were going along pretty nicely and I was enjoying the smallness of the process.

Until I tried to put on a binding!!!

First attempt at tiny binding


I ended up with a wonky mess and just knew that my ugly binding had ruined the whole quilt.  Not only was it thick, but the corners seemed to be falling off the edges, and it was just a mess.



I removed the binding and decided to ask for advice.  I received wonderful advice and tips from Janet at Roque Quilter (who is known for her incredible mini and small quilts)  and Debbie at Homemaking Dreams and  Angel Scraps Quilting.(probably my longest blogging buddy and she makes beautiful things)   (I was doing the corners all wrong and I learned to use a single fold binding instead of the double fold like we do with larger quilts)


I also held everything down with my mini clips, which helped secure the binding in place while I was sewing.  Notice I changed the binding fabric to the same fabric as my border, to help camouflage my boo boo's.


Not perfect, but way better!!


Thank you Janet and Debbie (and also thanks to a few Youtube video's I watched).



Moving on to other things...


Do you know what these things are?  They are oysters.  Hubby and I went out on the boat in January (I've never been out in the winter before)  to search for oysters.  I had never been oyster-ing and I had so much fun.  It was truly like searching for Easter eggs in the water.   We came home and hubby shucked them all (we had approx 100 oysters).  I fried enough for our supper and we froze the rest of them.  I'll definitely do this again with him.

Do you like oysters?  I ate one raw on a cracker and it took all my strength and willpower to get it down without gagging.  Around here, you are pretty tough if you can do that!

And I did go through with recoloring my hair  after going through the long process of letting my gray take over.



My hairdresser used a semi permanent gloss (versus creme color) that should wash out over time.  This may be a great alternative for me, since I can change my mind without having to grow all the color out again.... maybe?  I'm not sure if it works that way, but that's what I understood.


I'm also trying to let my short 'pixie' cut fill in a little and not be so very short.  Of course, this is after my hairdresser styled it and it hasn't looked this nice since.  I'll be able to style it correctly just before it's time for another trim.  Does anyone else have this problem with fresh haircuts?

And look who lost his first tooth:

Chandler Tate!


That's about it  for this post.  My friend liked her candle mat that I posted in the last blog post.  She told me she has a yo yo maker, too, but has never made the first yo yo! We are truly kindred spirits.  Happy Birthday Wanda!

17 comments:

  1. Ah, I was going to suggest Janet (Rogue Quilter) if you did not already have a solution. She does so well making mini quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hair looks great!

    I love the little project. I would be struggling with the binding, too, but yours look great now. You seem to have a knack with yo-yo's. Your projects are so lovely and cute! I enjoy seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't quilt so I have no opinions other than to say the mini quilt is very cute.
    Most of the time my hair is very short because the shorter it is the less time it takes to get ready.
    Love the color too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never seen a mini quilt made this way with yo-yos. Turned out really well! I like the fact that you don't have a plain, light background. It is a great look!
    Never have made a yo-yo in my life, but I have a small quilt that a friend made with some yo-yos in the design.
    Looks like your binding turned out well. Glad you had success!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mini yoyo quilt turned out great! Your binding looks perfect!

    You are a brave girl to eat that oyster! Going out on the boat in winter with your hubby was a memorable "date". Its so nice to spend time together like that.

    Your grandson is definitely growing up!

    Thanks for being my longest blogging buddy too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh and your hair looks so pretty! I love the color and the cut! You are a beautiful lady.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful little masterpiece. I cannot quilt anything well. I cannot seems to cut a straight line. It makes me cry. But I can sew. I don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your binding redo!! I had heard on tiny quilts to use single fold but had never needed that advice as tiny's haven't happened much for me... yet! lol
    I love how your little quilt with the cute yo yo's turned out... I am glad you enjoy making them... and then you also went oyster hunting??!!! WOWEE sounds FUN to me too if I wasnt freezing cold being outside! hahaha I would eat them friend or oysters rockefeller baked... but I doubt I could do a raw one... so good for you ! Glad you were able to make something for your friends birthday that she loves and your haircut looks sooo nice and I do love the color... what does hubby think? If you are happy that is best though! :D Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your hair color is especially pretty and so is your mini quilt.
    Debbie was one of the first blogging friends of mine too. She is a dear ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  10. I prefer my oysters fried or steamed. I could not choke down a raw oyster. And I've never been oystering. Or clamming. They're on my bucket list. I love your little quilt, and I love yoyo's. Wait til you see my yoyo project. In a few months. I've never tried a single fold binding. I don't 'get' the concept. Guess I need to head over to YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely mini, the yo yos look so cute.
    Can’t imagine fried or frozen oysters...fresh like that raw would be the best for me, with a squeeze of lemon!
    You can’t get them much fresher, they would be amazing.
    Your yo-yo projects keep inspiring me to use my small stash of baby yo-yos, one day!
    Your hair looks great, very natural looking colour.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the little quilt and love your hair!
    Happy today!
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your quilt is so cute. Isn't it wonderful to be able to ask for help and have so many people respond just "just because"? :) How fun to go oyster digging. I have never done that but am hoping to dig for clams one day...I love freshly cooked clams! Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the mini quilt! As for the hair, I let mine grow in 10 yrs ago. I kept it short and went to the beauty supply store, purchased old ladies rise. I got the brown to match my hair and as my hair grew out and I looked like a skunk, I would put that rise on that spot every morning. It would wash out so I did it every day....no one knew what I was doing. Then after a couple of hair cuts and cutting the brown out....and covering up I went to work one day and I was gray! HAHA.....the looks I got was so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So is that quilt about the size of a place mat? You hair looks awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That mini is just darling! I've used single-fold on small quilts before, they do behave much better...but truthfully, the more bindings I do the worse I get. My quilting license is going to be revoked any day now. Your hair is darling!!!!! I've given up on salons, I cut mine myself now, fortunately it's curly so the boo-boo's don't show as much. But I do snip bits for weeks afterward - seems like after every shampoo I see something I missed, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your mini quilt is charming and how good to receive such great tips on doing the edging.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I do my best to respond to every comment, but if you are a no reply blogger, I sometimes cannot locate your email. Also Anonymous comments are almost impossible for me to reply. But I do appreciate you stopping by!