Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Wednesday


It's a nice cool day here today and I don't have to work! I have a pot of vegetable soup on the stove and the house smells so good. Even though we've had a few cold nights lately, we still haven't turned on our central heating unit. I've been getting up before everyone and turning on the gas fireplace and letting the house warm up before they get out of bed. I'm sure before long I'll give in and turn on the central heat because I got a little chilly last night while sleeping. I'm going to try a heavier quilt first! With the gas prices going up, up, up, I'm trying to be conscious of saving heating fuel. Our fireplace is capable of using firewood, but I'm just not ready to "go there" yet. We've done that before and I have a rough time dealing with all the mess that goes along with wood fire. How do you stay warm without it being too costly?

3 comments:

  1. Mmmmm, homemade soup! Sounds so warm and comforting on a cold day. I'd enjoy a bowl too, please:). I know what you mean about having a fire. They are so warm and pretty to look at ....but messy. We use quilts or throws to snuggle in. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I have this nice quilt that my daughter made me. She says it was a mistake because she doubled the batting and then it was too hard to quilt. That is my favorite quilt. Lying on my couch under that quilt is the best warmth I can find. When we had wood heat, that was the best heat we ever had to my bones. But it also, almost cost us our house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm envious of your supper being already done. I bet it DOES smell good! You remind me of my Mama who used to get up before us children to get the house warm, but it was with a oil heater and wood heater a long, long time ago in a very old, cold house! We can burn wood in our fireplace but it needs to be very cold or we get too hot!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I do my best to respond to every comment, but if you are a no reply blogger, I sometimes cannot locate your email. Also Anonymous comments are almost impossible for me to reply. But I do appreciate you stopping by!