Thursday, November 29, 2018

November This and That

What a super fast year this has been for me.... My kids will be here in two weeks for our Christmas celebration..... eeeek.... still a few things to get done!

I did finally put down the crochet hook and I've been busy doing a few other things.


Have you heard about the 70273 quilt project?  I had not either, but I learned about it from this blog post from my friend Janet at Rogue Quilter.

From the person behind the project:  (Jeanne Hewell-Chambers):

A brief overview:
Between January 1940 and August 1941, Nazis murdered 70,273 physically and mentally disabled people – men, women, teens, boys, and girls. Though they never even laid eyes on the disabled person they were evaluating, the Nazi doctors read the medical files and, if from the words on the page, the person was deemed “unfit” or an “economic burden on society”, the doctor placed a red X at the bottom of the form. Three doctors were to read each medical file, and when two of them made a red X on the page, the disabled person’s fate was sealed.
I will commemorate these 70,273 voiceless, powerless people who were so callously and casually murdered by gathering 70,273 blocks of white fabric (representing the paper the doctors read), each bearing two red X’s (representing one person), and I will stitch them together into quilts. 

HOW POWERFUL IS THIS?  

Some of my favorite patients would have fit into this category, as well as many other people that I have known and loved throughout my life.  I made my XX block in memory of one of my favorite patients :  Gene Gene.... who will forever hold a dear place in my heart.  He's been gone for three years now, but I still thank God for bringing him into my life!

Click on the links above if you are interested in contributing to this powerful display of a sad history.


This sweet little girl came to visit Grandma and Papa by herself for the first time ever.  She stayed a week with us and it was pure joy!  We look forward to doing it again soon.

Maybe I should have cropped Papa out of this pic.... LOL

Our other sweet grandchildren were here for a couple days and these two girls danced their hearts out while they were here together.



Sadly, these are the only pic's I got of the boys.....LOL.  We enjoyed playing with some phone filters and had a few good laughs doing this.


Our friend sent me a picture of her newborn "Morgan" using her quilt that I made for her.  I love it when a quilt gets used.


We celebrated Thanksgiving early, so it was a beautiful quiet day at home for the actual Thanksgiving day.  Hubby and I fried shrimp and fish and it was so delicious.  It was cold here that day, which is unusual for an eastern NC Thanksgiving.  We had a nice little fire and I began stitching a vintage stitchery I won on eBay.


I have almost completed the lady at this point. I have enjoyed sitting and doing a little "mindless" stitching here and there.

My little Christmas trees are up and I have candles in the windows.  My nativity set is out and I hope to make my final list for Christmas plans today.   

See you again soon!

***Linking to Kathy's Slow Sunday Stitching for the quilt block and the cross stitch project.***


18 comments:

  1. What an incredible project. I had never heard of that. It is quite inspiring and quite sad. My husband would have been included in that group I well imagine. He has a degenerative disease that is hereditary. He has so much to offer, as did all those souls.
    Thank you for the enlightenment of this.

    Those grandkids are the cutest. Enjoy them.
    Yes, this year has flown by. Soon to be over.
    Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Many of us could have received the two X's for various reasons. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Lovely photos--even the ones of the boys! lol. I grew up hearing tales of the horrors of the holocaust. I never heard this one, yet I know that such atrocities happened. My heart cries out because my beloved son, my 'mugwump' would have received two Xs. Glad you are back, missed you this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Evelyn. Yes, I've been missing in action and have a lot of catching up to do with blogger friends. Your sweet son is precious and it's sad to think of the many horrible ways people were treated in the past. Lol on the boys' photos.

      Delete
  3. That is so powerful. Thank you for sharing. It is all so sad.
    How wonderful to have your granddaughter for a week. She's so cute! How sweet that the girls danced together. Morgan is so precious. Love the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pictures. The quilt project sounds incredible, but sad. I have oil painting that were done by survivors that came to live on Dads dairy estate in Sweden after the war. They took in over 100 prisoners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I'll bet they knew some sad stories. It's almost an unbelievable part of history.

      Delete
  5. Good job on the X block, Penny. And thanks for helping to spread the word!
    Love the photos of the wee ones!
    And it is a good feeling to know that a quilt you gave is being used. I recently found out otherwise, even though I gifted it with the instructions that it was to be dragged, slept under, sat upon, washed, and rewashed, until it was threadbare. But the Mom told me just last week (at a baby shower for her sister), that she was too concerned about ruining it. I told her to give it to her sister now and let her use it. :)
    I like that cross-stitch. Will you frame them together, or separately?

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful to have your grandchildren visiting!
    And your Thanksgiving sounds cozy and calm.
    Have a lovely weekend down there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello and good to see you! Very interesting about the x's on the quilt. My grandmother actually had a neighbor who had been in a holocaust camp. Sad times indeed were those days of WW2. Love the grands and your other busy work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a sad story of cruelty. Love the idea of the red X blocks. :o(

    I love all the pictures of your grandbabies!

    I agree about the baby quilt being used, makes you happy. That is an adorable picture of the baby laying on your quilt. I love it when they use them, wash them, and use them some more!

    I haven't got too much done toward Christmas, but I'm getting started. Time is just flying by and I can't keep up!

    Again, you inspire me with your stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No hoop while you cross stitch? I don’t use one for counted cross stitch but I always use one for stamped. I sure like the images you are stitching ❤️ 🧵
    My grands get such a kick out of photo filters too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lovely photo of your stitchery and the fireplace! So relaxing!
    And what a wonderful vintage design you are working on!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How fun to have your grandchildren together. I was about to compliment you on your makeup skills when I realized you did that with a photo program. lol I love your cross stitch project. I'm not sure I could do it anymore, but I used to really enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Penny, for commemorating and for writing about it here. I couldn't do this without people like you. Do you live in NC or did you just spend Thanksgiving there? I'm on the western side of NC . . . when I'm not in an airplane or the truck! Thanks again for participating and sharing the project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are in eastern NC. I'm excited about your project.

      Delete
  13. (PS: I've just posted a link to this post on The 70273 Project Clarions Page. Hope that's all right.)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I do my best to respond to every comment, but if you are a no reply blogger, I sometimes cannot locate your email. Also Anonymous comments are almost impossible for me to reply. But I do appreciate you stopping by!