Sunday, February 7, 2021

Slow Stitching




 I’ve been doing something a little different with my slow stitching this week. 


I am hand tying this king sized quilt!

Knot after knot after knot!   Call me crazy, but I am enjoying every minute of it. 

 (I guess that's the point of having a hobby, right?  But it's not always the case when trying to wrangle a huge piece)


Trying to keep this quilt as scrappy as possible, (using what I already have), I started out tying with a leftover collection of Sulky quilting thread.  Once I ran out of that, I switched  to tying with embroidery floss. 




You guessed it, I like the look of the thicker floss much better.  So I'll be going back and retying (or reinforcing) the first threads.  


I like the fact that it's spread out on my dining room table and it's easy to stop and put in a few knots at anytime of the day.  I'm not stuck in the sewing room all day.

I may still put it on the sewing machine for a few quilting lines, once it's all tied.  But not too many!


I haven't put in that many hand stitches on the Noah quilt this week, but I've done a few, just to keep the finger callous strong. I finished two lions this week!

I'm linking up with Kathy's Slow Stitching to share what others are slow stitching this week.  Click on the link to see lots of pretties!




15 comments:

  1. This is my first time discovering your blog. I love your scrappy, colorful log cabin quilt. Good luck with the rest of the tying--I forget that this is also a way to quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not the preferred way by most quilters, I’m sure. But I’m too cheap to pay someone to quilt it for me. ☺️

      Delete
  2. I love your quilt you are tying... how fun! I love the Noah's ark piece too... keep on keeping on with keeping your Calous :) Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never thought of tying a quilt before. I guess you must have to put them close together. But with a big quilt I quite like the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your bright, scrappy quilt! Tying it will give it a soft, cozy feel. It's looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the patchwork! Never thought of using the table before - very clever

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful quilt, and hand stitching project!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, what a beautiful scrappy quilt! It is filled with a myriad of bright and happy fabrics. Fabulous you are tying it with embroidery thread. I love that it is out on your table because that means you can see it all day...that must put many a beautiful smile into your day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a pretty scrappy quilt and how fun to use what you have to get it done. I am that way too. Your Noah's Ark quilt is precious. Have a wonderful week of quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to tie most of my quilts because I couldn't afford to pay someone to quilt them, I didn't know how to machine quilt, and hand quilting takes me forever! But I don't know that I ever tied anything King Sized!
    That is a cute project you are hand quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're tying a king size quilt?? I bow down to you. I've never even made a king size. I'd really like to learn to hand quilt, but I haven't mastered it yet, despite taking a couple of classes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I find slow stitching quite calming and relaxing. Very pretty quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are amazing Penny! I love this quilt and the hand tying! Also love that you are doing the hand quilting when you can. Cute Lions! That's the way to get things done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the ties. What a beautiful quilt. I love the Noah quilt too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I do my best to respond to every comment, but if you are a no reply blogger, I sometimes cannot locate your email. Also Anonymous comments are almost impossible for me to reply. But I do appreciate you stopping by!