Sunday, September 23, 2018

Slow Stitching

Our little corner of eastern NC survived Hurricane Florence, but our nearby neighbors did not fare so well.  We were without power for five days, but that was the extent of our discomfort.

I did some slow stitching through the hurricane, which I have thoroughly enjoyed doing for the past few weeks.


It had been awhile since I did any hand quilting with regular quilting thread.  I had to redevelop a callous on my underneath finger, (ouch) but I had forgotten just how relaxing hand quilting can be.


This was the first time I had tried out my Barnett's quilting hoop that I had recently purchased from eBay.  I can't even tell you how much I love this hoop; it is very lightweight and easy to maneuver.  I'm so  glad I bought it.


This quilt panel is also an eBay find that I had purchased sometime back.  I don't know for sure, but I think it may be a poly/cotton blend.  It "needled" so easily and was a pleasure to stitch.


Here it is, almost finished.  I have one corner and one side of  binding left to  hand sew  today.   I used the same  backing fabric for the binding and I just love the pop of blue in this quilt.  Of course, this quilt is going to a little girl baby, but I think the mom will appreciate it not being "too pink".

**I am linking up to Kathy's Quilts to share for slow stitching Sunday.  It is always fun to see what others are working on with their needle and threads.  Click on her link to see lots of pretty projects in progress.

This quilt is being made for my sweet veterinarian, who is also a family friend  My kids grew up playing with Dr. Natalie and her siblings, so it's extra special to now have her as doctor for my fur babies.

Speaking of which:

Sweet Pea (11 years old)

This has been one sick little girl for the past few days.  We don't know why, but she got extremely sick a few days after the hurricane.  The vet said she had seen lots of animals who had ingested bad water after the hurricane, but we don't think that is the case here.  We had a visiting toad frog on the back porch, whom I lwas allowing to live here, because I did not know they were toxic to animals and it had been so long since I had seen one.  We are wondering if she may have eaten it, as she is our little hunter.  Normal liver values (ALP) for dogs are less than 200.  My girl's was over 900.   Dr. Natalie gave her some fluids and medication and sent her home.

It was touch and go for about 24 hours and I really thought we might lose her.  She was breathing rapidly and puffing her cheeks with respirations.  She couldn't stand and would barely open her eyes.

She still isn't well, but this is her this morning.  She has eaten a little boiled chicken and is drinking water again, so we are hoping she has made a turn for the better.  I never knew having fur babies could be so heart breaking!  I do love them, so.


Leaving you with two photo's of my sweet granddaughters.  This is Annabelle.



This is Brinley Kate and her mommy, Ashley.  They have started dressing alike on Sunday's sometimes, which I find quite adorable!

I hope all is well in your world.  What are you working on?

14 comments:

  1. That is quite adorable for mom and daughter to sometimes dress alike on Sundays. My mom and I did that occasionally too. I hope your little doggie is all well today, and that is a wonderful quilt for a new baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this little quilt! And "ouch" is a perfect word for the poor underneath finger. Every time I start a new quilt my finger suffers until it gets calloused. Then it doesn't matter even if I sew my finger to the quilt. lol

    Sweet granddaughters and I love the idea of mommy and daughter dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When we were kids Mom made us dresses out of the same fabric as hers sometimes. I liked it until I was in the 2nd grade and from then on I wanted to be me. Worse was when Mom would my my sister and I the exact same dress, hers in pink and mine in blue. We spent the first 10 or so years of our lives mainly color coded!
    Hope the dog is much better now. You love them just slightly less than you love your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you did well during the hurricane. Praying for those that were hit hard. I love this quilt! So sorry to hear about Sweet Pea. I'm glad she is getting better and I hope she continues to get better. Your granddaughter's are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your baby quilt project, so pretty. Do hope your dog recovers fully, its always such a worry when our pets are sick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that baby quilt is adorable and your quilting really is doing it justice. I love my Barnett hoop too! He does such a great job making them, doesn't he? So glad that you were spared and hope that others in the area get the help they need.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely quilt that is. I am so sorry about your fur baby being so sick. It sure hurts one's heart! Love the pictures of your dear family as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, my friend.
    I am so happy you are safe and sound, and I am praying for your neighbors and all afflicted by the hurricane.
    Oh, and I am glad your sweet baby is feeling better.
    Beautiful photos of your lovely family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thankful you made it through the storm, and that your puppy is doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I dearly love your nursery rhyme quilt. Five days without power gave you some time to work on it but I wonder what you did in the evenings and night.

    Sounds like your dog is on the mend and I do hope the improvement continues.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a lovely design on the baby quilt; love all those nursery rhyme characters. Hand quilting is therapeutic isn't it. Your Sweet Pea is adorable; she has the sweetest face. I hope she is back to her normal self soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. SO very sorry about your fur baby. May healing continue. I think it might be the toad. Hopefully baby mends. Your project is darling. Sweet. Also your girls adorable. I am watching the house take shape as the workers do their thang. Will rejoice when the two rooms are done and things are back in their places.
    When I return to normal Kansas dust to dust in house it will be progress.
    Blessings to you!
    d

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gosh so much goodness in this post - I adore that quilt, and hand quilting, although I can't use a hoop. The pics of your grandbabies and beautiful mom are wonderful. I'm really sorry to hear about Sweet Pea, wow I didn't know that about toads, I hope she's back to normal now! I'm so glad you survived the hurricane ok, and that your power came back quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I do my best to respond to every comment, but if you are a no reply blogger, I sometimes cannot locate your email. Also Anonymous comments are almost impossible for me to reply. But I do appreciate you stopping by!