Friday, May 3, 2013

Trash or treasure??

My grandmother passed away just before Christmas.  My mom and her brothers and sisters are now going through the difficult task of removing her things from her home.


Mama told me that she had two 'old raggedy' quilts that 'needed to go to the trash pile.'  I asked her to save them for me, and I picked them up this week when we went to visit.  Yes, they are worn, but I could never throw them away.  I don't think I could even cut them to salvage the good parts for another project.  The colors are beautiful!  They are wonderfully soft and have a sweet musty smell.

I know nothing about these quilts...how they came to be, who used them, etc.  Both are machine pieced and neither have batting... just a front and a back.  I guess they would be considered bed coverlets and not really quilts.  Depression era?  Feed sack fabrics?  I find it interesting to see how the pink and brown fabrics held up so well, but not the others.  It makes me wonder how well today's fabric will be holding up in 75-100 years, when others are discovering our quilts and wondering about them.  I wish our foremothers had labeled their quilts.

I would love to hear your throughts.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for rescuing them from the trash pile! I too, have noticed that some colors held up better than others, but I haven't done any research on the subject. I love any and all basket quilts!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We found another raggedy basket quilt that is much heavier. I left that at mama's in case someone else wanted it. luv ya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely Treasure! I would keep them too! As you know I have some blocks and quilt tops of my grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Treasure! I love old quilts even if they are raggedy. I have a couple that are not usable anymore. I think I'll either figure out a way to display them or I'll give them to a friend who displays "cutter quilts" in her decor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the colors! It should be interesting to see how today's fabrics last.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting Penny. ... love the old quilt

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I do my best to respond to every comment, but if you are a no reply blogger, I sometimes cannot locate your email. Also Anonymous comments are almost impossible for me to reply. But I do appreciate you stopping by!