Sunday, November 3, 2019

Fun Sewing --Senior Angel

I wanted to sew some quilt blocks yesterday, but my back was aching and would not allow me to spend too much time at my sewing machine.


So, instead, I did some hand stitching and made this cute little mat (mug rug) for my new Senior Angel.

Terra, at Terra Garden Blog, posted about being a Senior Angel recently,  It sounded like something I would enjoy doing, so I signed up, and now I am an angel, too.

This program offers a free service for seniors who need or want happy mail.  I think it originated as Chemo Angels,  a service providing encouragement for those undergoing chemotherapy.  As an angel, we send a weekly card and an occasional gift to our person... something just to brighten their day.

If you know of someone who would enjoy these mailbox greetings or if YOU are in need of this service, please click on the link :  Chemo/Senior Angels and sign up.  I signed up a dear homebound friend of mine, who lives alone, has no children, and is dependent on others for most everything.  She has started receiving cards from her Angel and seems to be enjoying the little mailbox treats.  The recipients are not required to return letters/respond to their angel, as many cannot do so.  My friend has crippling arthritis, and cannot hold a pen to write.  However, the  angel service checks in with me monthly, to make sure she is receiving her cards and to see how she is doing.  



There are plenty of lonesome people out there, and sometimes,  just knowing that someone cares is enough to get through another day. 

Linking up with Kathy and Slow Sunday Stitching.  Hop over to her link and see what others are working on, away from the sewing machine.

19 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear your back is sore... hope it feels better soon!
    Hand stitching is just the remedy... you created a lovely gift for someone who will really appreciate your creativity, thoughtfulness and kindness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your stitching is lovely, and what a great cause!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just so cute and how thoughtful. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Penny, I am glad you pushed through the sore back to make your angel a cute as can be mug rug! I would love to donate to your angel in Feb or March... I am overwhelmed with projects right now but would love to make a valentine for your angel if I could??? Is this allowed though to play only a couple times a year??? I love to think my handwork would brighten someone's day :D Hope your back is better today!
    Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great service to help those that are alone or homebound! High five to you for being one of those angels!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like a lovely service to volunteer for! I think your little quilted mat is sweet and a perfect gift for a homebound senior.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a very cute mat. She will love it! How sweet of you to become an Senior Angel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely thing to do, I'm sure your little angel will be well received.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your hand sewn mug rug is darling. Good for you doing some form of stitching even though you were unable to sit at your machine. I hope your back feels better soon. What a wonderful cause that I was unaware.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sweet program. Being very heavily involved right now in caring for my Mom, I see so many others her age who have no one visiting or writing. This is a wonderful way to bring joy to someone who could really use the lift.
    That is an adorable little mug rug you created.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your shadow quilting on the mug rug! Very happy. What a great program to participate in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. A lovely little mug rug and a rather lovely thing to do!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely thing to do - and your little mug rug turned out so stinkin' cute!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The mug rug is so cute. I've been thinking about making some of those for Christmas presents this year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a sweet design in the mug rug.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Senior Angels program is such a great idea!!!! I often think about the people in nursing homes or housebound. I never knew how it really was until my Mama was in a nursing home. I should visit people there more often. I always think I want to make things for them, like crocheted, or sewn things, but never get it done. :o) This program is definitely something I would like to do. I have some elderly aunts that I could do this for.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That program brought tears to my eyes (I'm a leaky faucet) as it is such a wonderful idea and kudos to you for joining up. I love your wonderful embroidery and piecing. Happy Christmas from me outside Ottawa, Canada.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I do my best to respond to every comment, but if you are a no reply blogger, I sometimes cannot locate your email. Also Anonymous comments are almost impossible for me to reply. But I do appreciate you stopping by!