Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Fun Things

I like to share thrift store finds, especially when I find something that I really love.

 I have a heart for needlework and when I saw this perpetual calendar for $4.99, I knew I had to have it!  Someone put so much time into making this piece and I plan to use it in my dining room.  ( I need to secure some of the velcro, but otherwise this piece is perfect!)  Click to enlarge, to see more detail.


 I have started a small collection of little ceramic dogs.  The ones on top are some that my parents gave to my grandmother many years ago as a Christmas gift.  When she passed away, we were able to bring them home.  My mom actually gave them to my daughter, but she has never taken them home.  I guess maybe after her toddler grows up, she may come to claim them.  The lower two I have picked up at thrift stores.  My most recent find is the black antique iron.  I found it for $2.99 at a local Goodwill.  You just never know what you'll find in there!


Here's a close up of one of the needlepoint pieces.  The embroidery is beautiful.


My friend, Debbie, from Homemaking Dreams blog, made and surprised me with the beautiful key fob recently.  She is a whiz with her embroidery machine and even more amazing at machine quilting.  She makes such pretty things.  (sorry I don't know how to highlight and link on this chromebook I'm using, but you can find her blog in my side bar)


One more thing that surprised me last week:


My daddy and I split up my mom's huge aloe vera plant recently.  We used potting soil and sand from his house.  These little mushrooms popped up overnight and I had to do a double take when I saw them.  I took the picture, then removed them.  I couldn't decide if this made me a green thumb, or a "not so" green thumb.  
Fun things that make me smile..... if we only pay attention and look for these things!

12 comments:

  1. I love a good hunt through a thrift store, and it looks like you struck gold! Love the calendar!
    My Mom has collected small ceramic cats. She used to have her entertainment center covered with them, but has begun to give them to her grandchildren, so the numbers are dwindling.
    That is a very pretty key fob.
    Oh, I had that happen in one of my houseplants once. Surprised me, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at those cute little mushrooms! That would have been a fun surprise to find. Although I love treasure hunts, I do NOT need to buy anything more, so I try not to go any more. But sometimes I just have to give in for a little visit. Great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good finds!!!
    And I have ZERO green thumb ability!
    Have a cozy day. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. My, someone really did put a lot of work into the perpetual calender. Score one for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Penny,

    I love all your thrift store finds! I am always shocked when I have seen a handmade item in a thrift store. I am a sucker for anything handmade that I see there. The calendar was a great find.

    Love your ceramic dogs!

    Thanks for posting the key fob! You are so sweet.

    Love my dishtowel! You did such a good job and I will think of you every time I use it.

    The iron was a great find too.

    I love aloe plants. I have some that I have divided many times. It originated from my former mother in law who died in a car accident in 2000. So I feel sentimental about them.

    Debbie J.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its the little things in life that gives us happiness, the calendar is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it fun to collect things! I have a small collection of piggies. Thank you for commenting on my dishtowels. I hope you do try it! The most important thing to consider is, does the pattern have a dress, etc. that can be appliqued without interfering with the embroidery. I'll be watching to see if you try it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That perpetual calendar is truly a work of art. I love it! My grandmother had some small Siamese ceramic cats and I loved them as a child. When she passed away, they were given to me and I cherish them. My oldest grandson has already claimed them for his own when I am gone. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do love thrift stores! You never know what you will find and I have been lucky to find a few great things at them. You made a good find there. I love embroidered items.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is rather interesting with the mushrooms. I like your key fob. I especially like the collection of dogs!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your quilt is lovely. Something to be very proud of. I dream of sewing a block quilt in the near future. May it not stay a dream, but become a real quilt. Blessings to you and all the best!
    d

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I do my best to respond to every comment, but if you are a no reply blogger, I sometimes cannot locate your email. Also Anonymous comments are almost impossible for me to reply. But I do appreciate you stopping by!