Monday, July 2, 2012

Plugging Away

It was a HOT weekend in NC and I think most people stayed indoors  to stay cool!  I had to work this weekend and am so very thankful that I work where there is a good a/c system in place.


I have my quilt frame set up in my daughter's old bedroom for now.  I keep the door closed and tend to forget about the quilt until Avery comes over and goes in there to get his toys.  (this is the $5 quilt top find from Goodwill in the frame)



I bought myself this cute little ladybug timer and am challenging myself to set it for 30 minutes a day and quilt!  It's amazing how much (or little) I can quilt in 30 minutes.  But I figure if I can do this regularly, I should be able to knock this quilt out in......?? a few months??  years??  who knows? 



I have always enjoyed hand quilting, but I struggle with finding the right thimble.  Leather thimbles have always been my favorite.  (my latest was one made by my husband, by cutting off the finger of a golf glove for me)  However, I have seen this little stick on thimble advertised in several places and thought I would give it a try.  I'm still getting used to it, but so far, I love it.



I found this at a quilt show that I attended back in January.  I finally got around to trying it out  in June.  I think these thimbles can be found at JoAnn's and would probably be less expensive there, especially with a coupon.  I am still playing around with its position on my finger and have caught my quilting thread under it a time or two, but all in all, I like it!!  The little sticky pads are really sticky and can be used over and over.  It has not fallen off my finger at all, which was something I was concerned about when I bought it.  If you struggle with thimbles, like I do, you might enjoy this little gadget.


I purchased a new set of Francie Taylor's CD's  and have enjoyed listening to these while I quilt.  When I finish up this set, I will switch back over to the Ipod and Pandora radio.  I love Pandora!!  I tune mine in to southern gospel and can just quilt away while I sing along! (when I am by myself, of course!)   Is anybody else out there handquilting anything  these days???

7 comments:

  1. No I don't hand quilt ! ;) I have a daughter who does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't quilted in a while but that is the only way I do it. I struggle with thimbles too! I've never seen the kind you have, I might have to give that a try if and when I get back to quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip on the thimbles. I still haven't found what works, so I'll give these a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE my thimble. I have gone to the grocery store not realizing I have it on! It has just become such a part of me. It is the hardest thing to get use to as a hand quilter. I think I will pick up some of those for my beginners hand quilting class....they always hate the thimble.
    That quilt is beautiful....quite a find!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute and great idea to use the lady bug timer. Sometimes I set a timer for 5 minutes and pick up the my kids toys just to prove to myself that it doesn't have to take all day!! But, it would be more fun to use my timer to quilt! Thanks for your sweet comment on my post about the vintage pencil holder I found.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Singing and quilting sound like so much fun to me! I need to start doing 30 minutes a day or at least 15 on the Grandma Quilt. I did move everything off it and "plan" to start back quilting it on July 1st. Well its July 4th and not one stitch yet. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That thimble is pretty cool! I love your timer, I have one in red.
    Good luck on your quilting.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I do my best to respond to every comment, but if you are a no reply blogger, I sometimes cannot locate your email. Also Anonymous comments are almost impossible for me to reply. But I do appreciate you stopping by!