Sunday, February 14, 2021

Frugal Slow Stitching





 It’s a quilt top! Ready to bind!



I spent all week tying knots. A true labor of love. Really, I enjoyed it! I definitely will do this again for my larger size quilts.


Now for the frugal part. I had figured I needed approximately 1.5 yards fabric for my binding strips. My plan was to go to Hobby Lobby yesterday to buy fabric , but it rained all day and was too cold!



I had purchased this cotton twin sized bed skirt for $1 from a thrift store sometime back, knowing I could use the cotton fabric for something else. And who doesn’t love red gingham?


After cutting it apart,  and if I did my math correctly, I have approximately 2 yards of usable fabric!


Not bad for $1. 

Not my idea, but I had read somewhere to save the thin white part of the bed skirt to use as foundation fabric for string blocks. So, back into the closet that part goes. (My kids will have fun going through my things when I’m gone 🤣🤣🤣)


Surely I could do something with those thin strips! How do you like my new rag ball?  

I’d say I got my dollar’s worth. 


This is all I threw away! The tag!!

So if you like to be frugal (cheap) like me, look for bed skirts with pretty usable fabric. They are cheap and easy to take apart.

Hopefully I’ll get the binding cut and sewn this week, so I’ll be able to share a finished quilt by next Sunday.

I’m linking up with Kathy’s Quilts and Slow Stitching Sunday. Click on the link to see what others are slow stitching this week. Thanks for stopping by!


14 comments:

  1. What a great idea. Have done similar things when we have visited garage sales years ago. The go them will look amazing on your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your colorful quilt!! What a great idea to use bedskirts. I would have never thought to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job with the gingham, perfect binding. Those cloth balls are very cute, happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great finish, and what a great idea for the binding! Love the cloth balls! Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it!!! Red checked fabric is always great and I know it will be perfect for your binding. Pottery Barn is a good brand and I bet the quality of the fabric is really good. Love those balls too. You are being frugal and getting things done. I agree that this weather is not good for getting out a lot.:o(

    ReplyDelete
  6. loving your scrappy quilt!!
    great value from your thrift find-well done
    don't worry about what your kids will say, with mine there would be massive eye rolls lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a great idea for thrifty fabric! The red gingham will make a great binding.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a lot of great fabric for a very nice price! Hopefully you will be able to use someplace special

    ReplyDelete
  9. My queen-sized bed has the blue version of that dust ruffle on it right now. That is a lot of fabric for $1. That is a quality thrift find. It will make beautiful binding.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your gingham binding. What a fantastic idea! and you're right - who doesn't love a red gingham binding. You quilt turned out lovely. It looks very cozy and soft.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That’s a great idea. Not sure we could get such a bargain at our op shops in Aust..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brilliant use of the resources on hand. Aren't thrift stores the best??

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is so colorful and beautiful. That's a great idea with the bed skirt. Those balls look interesting too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a great idea for the binding - checks look so great. Cotton is cotton.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I do my best to respond to every comment, but if you are a no reply blogger, I sometimes cannot locate your email. Also Anonymous comments are almost impossible for me to reply. But I do appreciate you stopping by!