Sunday, January 24, 2021

Slow Stitching

I'm trying to retrain myself to hand quilt.  I hope to discipline myself to put in a row of stitches daily, so I can keep my finger callous.  It sure gets sore with each restart.


However, I find that I no longer "quilt" the way I did when I was younger.  I used to load several stitches on my needle at one time and then pull the needle through.  I find it easier to do one stitch at a time these days, which seems to be easier on my underneath finger.  I do use a metal sticky dot thimble, but do need to feel the needle on my skin when it comes through the fabric.  


This is a vintage Noah's Ark panel that I am working on.  It'll be a baby size quilt.  I love the "Rules for the Ark" listed in one of the blocks.  


New to me, is this Ulmer Quilting Frame.  It fits perfectly in my little open spot by the window and fireplace.  I had seen a couple of these frames owned by other bloggers and just knew it would be the easiest one for me to use and still be pretty enough to leave it set up in the living room.  So far, I absolutely love it.  ( I found it on ebay, not having to pay full purchase price for a new one.)

I'm linking up to Kathy's Quilts for Sunday Slow Stitching, where you can go and see what others are hand stitching.  I really enjoy seeing what others are making.

Machine stitching:

I finished up all the blocks for my daughter's quilt.  We are calling it her Quilt of Many Colors as we love Dolly Parton and her  movie about her little patchwork coat. 


I have trimmed the blocks and hope to arrange 
and sew them together this week.   

Stay tuned...…. I hope everyone is doing well.



16 comments:

  1. Such talent - I do not have the patience to quilt by hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There seem to be so many methods for hand quilting. It sounds like you are working toward a technique that works for you. So many happy colors in your blocks. Great name for a quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute Noah's Ark Pannel. It will be beautiful hand quilted. Enjoy your new quilting frame. And quilt of many colors are brigh and shinning.
    Stay safe and happy slow stitching

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness I love your quilting frame... thanks for showing it to us! Such a fun project to quilt! ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that Noah's Ark quilt. Those rules are amusing. Thanks for the frame recommendation. I have bookmarked it for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are so beautiful. I wish I had a hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a lovely Noah's ark quilt. How beautiful your daughter is and what a beautiful patchwork jacket she has. Also the quilt of many colors is wonderful. Colors give us joy.
    Your quilting frame looks amazing. I find it difficult to quilt by hand. Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great projects! Love that Noah's Ark quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Noah's Ark panel is adorable, and looks fun to quilt on. How you describe your quilting method sounds like what I do - and I just do what works for me! The quilt of many colors is going to be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I admire your ability to hand quilt. I have taken a couple of classes, and given it a try, but I just couldn't get the hang of it. I LOVE your quilt of Many Colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Penny... I love your frame and the quilt in it.... I am excited about your daughters quilt of many colors too! Happy Quilting :) Reward yourself listening to a podcast, or a youtube or listening to a book only when you are quilting... then you will get excited to feel that finger pain as your callous reforms :) lol! Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a wonderful project! I loved the rules of the ark also. I envy quilting talent!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the Noah's Ark quilt and as for your daughter's beautiful quilt; it is singing with gorgeous scrappy-licious delight!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I so love your quilting dear! I find I am slower at most things anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely hand quilting! And I love your bright and beautiful Quilt of Many Colors' blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your Noah's Ark Quilt in progress! I totally understand about keeping that callous on your finger. I don't have one right now. I always love your hand quilting! I also love your Quilt of Many Colors and the name is perfect. Its going to be priceless to your daughter! I still have not seen that movie, but have been wanting to ever since it came out. Maybe we will find it on Netflix or Prime and watch it on this or another cold rainy day.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I do my best to respond to every comment, but if you are a no reply blogger, I sometimes cannot locate your email. Also Anonymous comments are almost impossible for me to reply. But I do appreciate you stopping by!