Sunday, August 26, 2018

Tumpy's Quilt

I've finished the quilt that I've been working on and am itching to start my next hand quilting project.


I probably should call this quilt something like "My evolution quilt".   


It all started many years ago, (think 25 years or so), when my kids were little ones.  I started hand piecing hexagons for a grandmother's flower garden quilt.  It was all planned out in my mind, with green hexies to separate the flowers, making it into a flower garden quilt.


Life happened; the kids grew up and the hexies ended up in the attic for several years, tucked away in a cardboard box. Fast forward quite a few years and I purchased the paper doll fabric, having no idea what I would do with it.   I believe they had a front and a back and could have been made into dolls. 

One day I pulled the hexies out and decided to applique them onto a solid fabric and would throw the dolls into the mix and make something pretty for a future granddaughter.

The next thing I knew, I had two granddaughters and the quilt wasn't even close to being done.

I had been wanting to try big stitch quilting with colorful threads and remembered this quilt top that I already had, ready to go.  I started on it a few months ago, with my faithful companion, Tumpy, lying beside me for almost every stitch that was put into the quilt.  He was sick, but I didn't realize how sick at the time. 


Tumpy (the black dog in the picture) died in July and I was still working on the quilt.  When I picked it back up to stitch, it just didn't feel right without him by my side.   I would see his little black dog hair on the quilt and wish so much that I could just bring him back.  I began to call it Tumpy's quilt.



I embroidered his name on one of the hearts, as a way to honor his memory.  It was then that I decided that this quilt would be mine.  He loved to snuggle on the couch with me and this quilt reminds me of our last few months together, we both got lots of snuggle time. 


This pic is kind of cheesy, but the quilt is draped across Tumpy's little grave that we made in the back yard.   I think he would have approved of the finish.

Even with its sadness,  it's been a good summer....

I had the pleasure of seeing all the grandkids at the SAME time and it stirred my heart  to see them together again.  I leave you with this completely spontaneous photo taken of them without any prompts... isn't cousin love grand???


25 comments:

  1. So pretty, and a fitting tribute to your little buddy. I don't have quilts for my first wolf, but I have a big fluff of his fur in a container, along with Obie's baby teeth and a few other mementos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh!
    Your quilt is beautiful!
    And I think it is the perfect decision to keep it and snuggle with it yourself.
    Sorry for your loss. I hope the quilt brings you peace.
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quilt is beautiful. I love that you embroidered the name on it. So touching. enjoy your quilt and think of your friend often!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautiful post- full of love for your family, fur babies and quilting. ❤️
    Your quilt is beautiful. I’ve never seen the paper doll panels and they look perfect with the piecing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful work. I cannot really quilt to save my soul. I don't have the patience. I so admire you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is kind of deja vu-ish for me. Over 20 years ago I started a grandmother's flower garden quilt, and planned on doing the green hexie path between the flowers. After making 33 flowers over a period of about 12 years, and never really enjoying the process, I put it away for several years. Just tonight I pulled out those flowers (took me a while to find them), measured and cut muslin backgrounds, and began removing the papers and pinning the flowers to the background. I will applique them on the squares and maybe use the green for sashing instead of a garden path.
    Yours is extra special with the hand quilting and those fun appliqued "paper dolls", but mostly because of the association in your mind with your dear canine quilting buddy. I am glad you are keeping it.
    Besides that common quilting experience, all five of my grandchildren are in town this week, and getting to spend some precious time with each other.
    You caught such a sweet photo of the kids strolling together!
    We are living parallel lives. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh sweetie - I'm so glad you're keeping this quilt - it's precious, and will bring back good memories of Tumpy. I love the picture of the cousins - I think they each need their own copy of that pic, framed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay you did it! You made me cry with that sweet story. The quilt is lovely and will be an awesome reminder of Trumpy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That brought tears to my eyes. The quilt is so pretty and I love the little girls on it. I also love that you put Tumpy's name on it. ❤

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the quilt!!! I love the picture of the grands.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That quilt is totally "you" Penny! I love everything about it, especially Tumpy's name. Its priceless and such a great way to honor the memory of your dog.

    Yes its been a good summer.

    I really, really love the picture of the cousins from the back. That's priceless too.

    You always motivate me to do more hand quilting. I need to do that this fall and winter.

    Great post Penny!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The sweet girl fabric you have added to your quilt is adorable. Sometimes quilts we really intend to get done and gift don't happen in the most timely fashion. Sometimes not at all.
    I have some hexagon pieces and intend to fussy cut but don't know when I will find the time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your quilt is beautiful! Congratulations on finishing it up. Some quilts can really take us on a journey can't they? I like that you kept it as a sweet reminder of your little pal, Tumpy. How wonderful to have those memories all wrapped up in a warm, huggable quilt. I've got a hatbox full of hexagon flowers that I need to do something with. You've inspired me! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, you have me in tears. My dog will be 15 in December and I know we don't have much time left. I dedicated a quilt I made when my father in law passed a few years ago to him cause hand quilting it really gave me time to heal from the loss. So I fully understand your pain and know that you will be fine. The cousins picture reminds us that all is good and life goes on. There is nothing cheesy about loving your pet and missing him!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your quilt is finished which is a good thing, but it is also bittersweet. It's tough to loose a 4-footed best friend. The spontaneous photo is precious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. 'Life happens' to the best of us, but in the end you finished your quilt and now have a beautiful memento of Tumpy into the bargain.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so sorry for your loss....we have lost a few furry family members and the pain and their mark on our lives endures...
    I was happy to hear that you are keeping your quilt! It belongs with the two of you.
    Lovely grandchildren! Beautiful, frame-able picture! I can picture a series of them as they grow....
    Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So very sweet, Tumpy's Quilt. Sorry about Tumpy's passing. Always a friend by your side. Your quilt is lovely. I hope to make a quilt with squares. Nothing complicated. One day. One day soon,
    d

    ReplyDelete
  19. The quilt sounds like the perfect tribute to your companion. Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Enjoy your handcrafted quilt - hope it brings you much warmth!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Tumpy's quilt is pretty and filled with snuggle memories.

    ReplyDelete
  22. So pretty quilt and such a wonderful story. Lovely name of the quilt. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I’m sorry about Tumpy. His quilt is beautiful. We also said goodbye to our sweet black & tan doxie Ellie in July. She was 14. We miss her terribly.
    JoAnna

    ReplyDelete
  24. To JoAnna above:

    I'm so sorry about the loss of your Ellie. It does hurt so much.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I do my best to respond to every comment, but if you are a no reply blogger, I sometimes cannot locate your email. Also Anonymous comments are almost impossible for me to reply. But I do appreciate you stopping by!