Friday, October 20, 2017

October happenings

I found this cookbook at one of my favorite thrift stores this week.


Remember the movie about Julia Childs and the girl who cooked her way through the book?  I would love to do the same thing with this book.  Every recipe in there (almost), I would like to try.  Plus, the book has lots of pretty pictures in it!


My husband and I visited the Amish country many years ago and I would love to go back again.  I just love everything about it.  I love to read Amish wisdom books and Amish cookbooks.   I only paid .50 cents for this book... a happy treasure, for sure.


Daddy's baby goats are growing.  He is still nursing these two with baby bottles.  They are so cute.... they will follow him around, into his garage and prop up  on a table to see the bottles .  Adorable little things!


I'm planning a visit to see this little girl next week.  Her mommy loves thrifting just as much as I do, so we should have a fun week.  Annabelle picked out her own 'costume' while they were in Goodwill a couple days ago.


I'm almost embarrassed to share this, but do you see this pattern?  This is one of the many that I own, that I purchased for .99 cents, a long time ago from Hobby Lobby.  I never used it, never even took it out of the envelope.  Imagine my surprise when I saw how much people were paying for them on ebay.  So.... I listed mine and sold it for $45.00.  I was a little embarrassed to take someone's money , but now I have ebay money in my account to buy something else.  ha!

I've been under the weather this week and still don't feel the best.  I've been debating all week if I should see the doctor, so I can be well for my trip to TN next week.   As a nurse, I tend to wait things out, but now I am stressing about it, wondering if I should go ahead and go.  I guess there's always tomorrow.  Please pray that I can feel better!

13 comments:

  1. I have a couple of Mennonite cookbooks that I used a lot before my celiac diagnosis. I can still do some recipes, but my favorites were the baking ones. This looks like a great book.
    I love thrifting, too. The thrill of the hunt is so alluring. :)
    Oh, you need to be able to go see that cutie! I will keep you in my prayers.
    Wow--who knew the pattern was that in demand?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a Mennonite cookbook that I have used since the early 80's. It is ragged beyond repair, but I use it all the time. Let us know if you do the Julie and Julia thing and cook your way through it. I have thought of doing something similar with one of my cookbooks.
    Your granddaughter is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be fun to work your way through the book. I just recently watched Julie & Julia. Have a nice trip. You probably should see the doctor. I love that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Penny, Enjoy that cookbook and take pics of the things you cook and how they turn out... Amish building and cooking is always awesome it seems :)
    I love that pic of Annabelle... I hope she did get that hat for halloween... how fun is that... or is it one of those wreaths she wore as a hat???
    Congrats on your eBay sale! I am sooo glad for you :)
    I will be praying you feel better... as a nurse I am much the same as you but sometimes we need doctors too... and sometimes a round of meds isn't a bad thing girl! Take care of yourself!!
    So glad you wrote this post too btw... I will be praying for you to feel better also <3
    Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey jump on that money and run. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your granddaughter is adorable - love her fashion sense.
    That’s amazing about that pattern. Good for you!
    I’m going to look up that cook book on a used book site I have a coupon for.

    My advice is call the dr soon and I’m not a rush to the dr for everything girl. But you don’t want to spoil your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS - I bought your Amish cookbook along with 2 fiction books on the used book site and I’m so looking forward to them arriving. Mine were not 50 cents but they were a very good deal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have visited Amish country many times in different areas. Always a treat. We always try to have an Amish style meal at one of the restaurants while we are there. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoy your new cookbook!! Those goats are too, too cute, I would dearly love to have goats [and fresh goat milk every day] but I did well to clean a cat box every day....I can't imagine livestock, lol. Annabelle is ADORABLE. Praying you feel MUCH better, VERY soon hon!!!
    ps - good for you on selling that pattern - amazing what folks will pay!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You can make the recipe on the cover, and send them all to ME! What a great find. And don't feel embarrassed to take someone's money like that. It was obviously worth it to them! Hope you'e feeling better by now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Amish and Mennonite cookbooks. They tend to be my "go to" cookbooks for most anything. Your granddaughter is so cute!!! Love that hat! :) Wow, what a score on selling your old pattern for that much money...makes me think I should look into that kind of stuff. I do pray you are feeling better by the time you read this, if not, please do go and see your doctor.

    Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's incredible that you got so much for that pattern, but I'm glad you did. If someone wanted it that much, it must be significant to them, so you made them happy, too.

    It looks like you got a great cookbook. Here's hoping the recipes are terrific--I'm sure they will be!

    I love that hat on your granddaughter. It's quite a hat:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was an amazing sale on Ebay! Wow!

    I'm a little behind on commenting, so I'm sure you already feel better by now, as I saw your post about your trip.

    Such a cute little granddaughter in that hat!

    Enjoy the cookbook. Sounds like a great plan to cook your way through it. Your hubby and Daddy will like that!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I do my best to respond to every comment, but if you are a no reply blogger, I sometimes cannot locate your email. Also Anonymous comments are almost impossible for me to reply. But I do appreciate you stopping by!