Thursday, October 5, 2017

A Lesson in Humility

As most of you know, I love visiting our local Goodwill on a regular basis.  By being a regular, I am very familiar with other regulars who shop there often.  Some I greet and chat with.... others I stay away from.

There is this one little man, who I had decided was homeless... he always looked a mess, he looked dirty, disheveled, and I always wondered about his mental status.  He never bothered anyone.  Except one day, he stood near me and passed gas.... loud gas.... and it smelled terrible! I then added 'an old drunk' to my description of him.  When my daughter visited and we went to Goodwill, I would tell her "don't get near him, he'll pass gas on you.'  As we giggled and minded our own 'superior' lives.

A few weeks ago, I saw this man come into the store and buy a jacket.  He put it on while in the store and then I saw him walk to his car! hmmmm, maybe he's not so homeless, I thought.  But still.... I must keep my distance from him.  He's different.

Tuesday, as I left my local Goodwill, I needed to stop by Aldi's for a quick trip to pick up a few things.  As I got out of my car, I noticed a man trying to 'drag' himself across the parking lot using a shopping cart.  He had his left arm thrown into the cart, where a child would normally sit and he was dragging his left leg.  He was very unsteady and I thought 'this man might need help.'

I started walking towards him and immediately recognized him as the little Goodwill man.  He looked up at me and I could tell he was hot, weak, and that he had obviously had a stroke since I had last seen him.  I said 'sir, may I help you?"  His speech was slurred, but I understood him to say he needed help getting to his car, which was parked over two parking lots away.  I then said to him "sir, I've seen you around town and I don't remember you as having had a stroke .  Have you had a stroke?"  He said 'YES, this morning!"  I continued to ask questions, trying to determine if he had been seen by a doctor.  "NO, I don't need a doctor!" he said.  "I was at the doctor yesterday!"  I asked "had you had a stroke yesterday?"  He screamed "NO, I TOLD YOU I HAD A STROKE THIS MORNING!"  I told him I thought he needed to see a doctor and that I didn't feel comfortable taking him to his car.  He became angry and told me to just let him die.

I walked away, but continued to watch him from the lobby area inside the store.  He tried to take a few steps and I noticed his pants fell down; he was completely nude from waist down.  He attempted to reach for his pants, and I watched him fall onto the pavement.  I ran out of the store and told him "sir, you have got to let me help you!"

A young lady appeared and helped me to get him back on his feet and we pulled his pants up for him.  He became a little nicer at this point, but was adamant that he did not need help, he did not need a doctor, that he would rather just die.  A store manager came by and brought water and a chair for the man.  I stepped back into the lobby of the store and called 911, knowing I may really get cursed out for this measure.

I went back to the man and told him what I had done and that I felt like he needed help.  He fussed a little, but assured me he was NOT going to the hospital.

The EMS team arrived and agreed that he had had a stroke, but because he was in his 'right' mind and could answer all questions appropriately, they could not make him go to the hospital.  I asked the policeman if he could carry the man home and he replied that he could not.

I understand their position, but how can we leave a man who has obviously had a stroke, who cannot even walk without falling..... how can we leave him here in a parking lot????

I asked the man where he lived and realized it was only a few miles outside of town.  He gave me permission to take him home.  I assisted him to my car, I grabbed his paralyzed leg and put it into my car, buckled his seatbelt and off we went.

He was very nice to me in the car and he talked nonstop all the way to his house.  Even though I only understand a small part of it, I did hear him say that he wanted to die again.

God tapped me on my shoulder and said 'ask him if he is going to heaven when he dies.'  Just then, we passed a beautiful church, which allowed me start the conversation.  He told me that he did not know Jesus personally.  I told him, as quickly and as simply as I could, about how to be sure he would go to Heaven.  He responded something back to me, but I have no idea what he said.

I just know that God allowed me the opportunity to witness to this man, this man who truly wanted to die.  My attempt at witnessing was a very feeble attempt, as I stammered for words to say, but I do feel like God can use my words, such as they were.

I got the man home and offered to help him inside.  He refused to let me help him, stating he wanted to sit outside for awhile.  I helped him to get situated in a chair and went across the street to let his sister know what had happened and where his car was located.  She did not know he had had a stroke, she said he was fine yesterday.

When I drove out of her driveway to go home, I had to pass by the man's house again.  There he was, on the ground, crawling towards the steps.  I stopped again and waited for the sister.  We were able to get him inside his home, where he was once again adamant towards his sister, that he did not want to go to the hospital.

I left, I don't know what happened.  I don't know if he went to the hospital, I don't know if he died.

I  just know that God humbled this old girl on Tuesday, as my heart feels completely different towards this little old guy than it did before.

I pray that God will give me the opportunity to help others, without judgement... to see the need, to listen to HIS voice... to obey.

*** I worked for over 10 years in a nursing home, and these little hard headed patients were ALWAYS my favorites. ***

16 comments:

  1. Your witnessing was not feeble. Bless you for helping this man

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my goodness, Penny. Your story brought me to tears. How grateful I am that you listened to the Spirit and let God use you to help this man. We cannot force people where they do not want to go. But you showed compassion where it was sorely needed. Sometimes that is all we can do--and pray, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful opportunity you were given!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that man is in sad shape; I hope he gets more help. You ministered to him like an angel put in his path.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bless your heart and soul for the compassion you showed to this man!
    You are a model for all humans as to how to treat one another.
    May God bless you in return. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. You were God's face to this poor man this week! Bless you and your witness. I am moved by your story and your compassion; strengthened by the Holy Spirit, it is no coincidence that you were there at the time he needed someone the most. Thank you for sharing this story too. We can all learn from your action and be aware of who might need us today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my what a story! You were right were God needed you to be and did all you could do. Loving huggles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll be praying for that man, that he seeks the Lord and finds him. What a lesson in this story - I'm reminded of James 2:1-9. A lesson you were fortunate enough to live out. God bless you for stopping and helping, and for sharing, we all need that lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are such a special person to go the extra mile to help the little Goodwill Man! Just like the Good Samaritan in the Bible you did everything you could and did your best to do the right thing. As I was reading the post I thought about all your nursing home experience and how that would help you know what to do. Thanks for sharing your story. You are a good example to follow.

    Debbie J.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you never know. You were one of the angels unawares. Good on you

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! That is wonderful that you would help this stranger and share Jesus with him. Thanks for sharing with us! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my dear, God bless you for your compassion. Please let us know if you find out what happened to him. I will be praying for him.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, God did use you! I started crying while I was reading this post. I don't know his name but I did say a prayer that if he didn't die, he accepted Jesus into his heart.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an awesome opportunity you had! I pray that you will be able to find out what happened to him and that if he is still alive the Lord will continue to bring your words to his remembrance. I also want to say thank you for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. God bless you for helping that man and for telling him about the Jesus. I do hope he is going to be okay and am glad his sister lives near him so she can check on him. Maybe he will listen to her.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I do my best to respond to every comment, but if you are a no reply blogger, I sometimes cannot locate your email. Also Anonymous comments are almost impossible for me to reply. But I do appreciate you stopping by!