Thursday, February 23, 2012

Underground Railroad Blocks

One of my 'many' quilting goals for 2012 include making this Underground Railroad quilt.  My goal is to make 2 blocks a month and have the top completed by July.


These are January's blocks.  Where are February's?  Not done yet!  Today is February 23rd and I have failed miserably in the sewing department this month.  Okay, I still have a few days, and I WILL get the next two blocks done!


I bought the fabric using some of my Christmas $$.  It was fun to go to the quilt shop and pick out so many different fabrics at one time.  These aren't my 'favorite' colors to use, but I wanted the colors to be similar to those used during the Civil War era. (my quilt shop doesn't carry civil war reproduction fabric)


This is the first time I've used an Eleanor Burns pattern and I have to say:  I love her!!!!  The instructions are so clear and she offers so many tips to make the blocks fall into place.... on the first try!!  I decided I wanted to make this quilt after reading : The Runaway Quilt by Jennifer Chiaverini.
If you haven't read her Elm Creek Quilts novels, you need to get started!  I love them! 


  • And one cute picture before I close.... Avery loves firetrucks!  Yesterday the local fire department was having a training exercise across the street from our house.  Avery saw the activity when his mommy dropped him off to stay with Grandma for a few hours.  As she was getting him out of his car seat, he was yelling at the top of his lungs to Grandma, telling her about seeing the firetruck by the trees!!!  So, there was nothing to do, but take my little 'big boy'  over to see the firetruck....bare feet and all....When we got there, the firemen were so sweetand welcoming and allowed him to 'help'!!  They also put him inside the firetruck and showed him the 'red button'.....Avery was allowed to blow the sirene!  He loved it!
     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I do my best to respond to every comment, but if you are a no reply blogger, I sometimes cannot locate your email. Also Anonymous comments are almost impossible for me to reply. But I do appreciate you stopping by!