Thursday, August 4, 2011

Vintage Diaper Shirts




Do you remember these sweet little diaper shirts? I found these two while thrifting this week and had to have them. I don't know why I buy some of this stuff, but I sure do love it! These little shirts are so lightweight and must have been so comfy for the baby in warm weather... just this and a diaper. How precious. Is it just me? or do you think young mothers now days are trying to dress their babies like miniature adults? Especially little girls! Now don't get me wrong.... they are adorable in their miniature grown up clothes, but I sure do miss the sweet innocence of dainty baby clothing. I guess I'm getting old, huh? My mother in law hand stitched a few of these little shirts for my babies before they were born. I have them packed away somewhere. When I was a little girl, playing with my baby dolls (I loved baby dolls), my mama would let me buy a new diaper shirt or a pacifier or a baby bottle, or something "real" for my babies when we would go out shopping. I loved shopping for my baby things! :o) I don't remember the cost of them, but I would like to think they were less than $1. Mom, you might remember.... or you may have no recollection of this at all.... but it was a special memory for me. :o) :o)

7 comments:

  1. These are so sweet! Summers are hot here, so we let the kids wear as little as possible when they were babies. Often times just a diaper and a little onesie undershirt. These look nice and cool too, and they are pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are precious. I don't remember ever seeing those. Yes they do dress babies in grownup clothes today. I use to love buying real things for my dolls too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember your Dad's Aunt Annie handmade some diaper shirts for her shower gift for you. And you were so small, they were the only ones that fit you. They looked like doll clothes compared to the store bought ones I had. The ones you found are so pretty. And I know its the embroidery that called your name. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Penny, I just love them. I would love to find some for my new grandbaby. I use to dress my babies in them. I have been busy sewing for our little coboose.
    Hugs,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. My babies had these too. I hadn't thought about it, but you don't see them any more. Sure would be nice during this summer that's been so hot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think most people are afraid of letting their young kids go without clothes. I never dressed Kara in the summer as you can tell from most of her summer baby pictures. :) I would have loved to have those shirts

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are precious, I am actually trying to find patterns to practise making them. These were very popular when I was growing up.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I do my best to respond to every comment, but if you are a no reply blogger, I sometimes cannot locate your email. Also Anonymous comments are almost impossible for me to reply. But I do appreciate you stopping by!