Monday, November 26, 2007

Oh Christmas Tree!


Go ahead and admit it.... how many of you have your Christmas tree up already? I do not! However, on a good year, I would definitely have my tree up by now. When I was growing up, we always put our tree up on Thanksgiving afternoon. Thanksgiving was such a big day for me, as I loved helping "mix" the dressing and I loved decorating the tree!
I still love mixing the dressing and I still like decorating the tree, but it seems a whole lot more difficult to get it all done these days. No wonder my mom let me do those things... I'll be she was tired too!
We had a traditional Thanksgiving meal at my house on Thurday. Then it was back to work for me ... 12 hour shifts ... Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
When we got back to work on Friday, the activity department was busy ripping down Thanksgiving decorations, packing them up, and bringing out Christmas decorations. By the time I left work on Friday night, we had four Christmas trees up, as well as lots of other miscellaneous decorations. Even though it was pretty to look at all weekend, I was a little sad because I still had the Thanksgiving frame of mind going on in my heart. (not to mention the Thanksgiving leftovers in the refrigerator)
I'm not even sure I'm going to put up my big tree this year. More and more, I'm thinking of getting a small tree for my kitchen table and skipping the big tree. Years ago I would have never dreamed I'd be doing this! I have found that the older I get, it feels as if Christmas comes every six months, instead of every five years like it seemed when I was a child. I feel as if I just packed all that Christmas stuff a few months ago! I'm sure by next Christmas, I'll be ready to see the big tree again.
I hope to work on my Christmas shopping this week. I've picked up a few things so far, but I have a lot more to do. I also have to get a blanket made for one of my patients by Christmas. I need to buy groceries today. I will be traveling six hours on Saturday for my daughter's wedding shower. I have two more 12 hour shifts to work this week. I have several loads of laundry that need attention. Whew! I'm so tired! Just thinking about all that makes me need a nap.
No wonder I'm skipping the big tree this year. I do, however, want to see pictures of yours! So don't forget to post them on your blog.
And no, the picture above, is not my tree. It is, however, the tree I would have this year.... if I was going to have one.

9 comments:

  1. I just love reading your blog because I can relate! Not the working 12-hr shifts, but that as I get older I think I want to go smaller - (both me and the tree!) It's also kinda sad to un-decorate it. We are used to getting it up the week-end following the Thanks-mas week-end. We'll see this year. I think sometimes I have a chronic case of the tireds. Probably how badly I eat. Hubby's getting me a Weight Watchers membership for Christmas - I asked - he didn't "sugest"! But, notice I said for Christmas? I "could" start now, but...ah..no, thank you very much. Have a great day, will ya??
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there, I'm not ready for Christmas. I'm having a hard time thinking about it at all. I'm not ready to give up Fall yet. I'm going to do some posts on getting organized for Christmas this week, if I can get time..... You've got a wedding and Christmas. Exciting doings at your house!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, baby, you are finally beginning to understand! How many times did you call me "Scrooge" for not having a tree inside? LOL.

    And I know exactly how MIL used to feel. That little tree she had, that she left decorated, and put back in the closet each year...I understand it all now!!

    Don't worry I love you!! I told your dad no outside lights for me this year. And no tree at all. I'm just putting out Jesus things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand exactly what you are saying. I love decorating, but each year it seems to take me longer and I'm doing less too. I hope to do my tree this weekend and then I'll be sharing pictures. Tomorrow I'll be doing some shopping...the stores shouldn't be to crowded, hopefully. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful tree! I thought it was yours and was like WOW!! :) We have not yet decorated either, but I'm getting excited. Hubby doesn't like to start Christmas before Thanksgiving and since Thanksgiving came so early this year, we are waiting a week or two to decorate. You must be exhausted with a wedding coming up and Christmas and everything all at once!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi!
    I don't have my tree up either. I am getting it this weekend. I usually have it up the weekend after Thanksgiving. But this year it was a week early. So I don't feel like I am behind...I am right on time :-). That's my story and I am sticking to it!
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi pen pen,
    Did you make a decision yet about your tree situation? Those little glass ones that you plug in are nice. HA. Or maybe not HA. I know a lot of people that just put up a lot of pretty things, just not a tree. You can just say that you are NOT going to kill anymore trees and that's that.
    Hope you get time off around Christmas, do you?? You just have so much going on right now that I think if you want to skip a tree this year you can.
    Have fun at your daughter's shower. They always get so many nice things these days.I think when I got married I got a few towels and sheets, and a hand mixer, etc. My shower was in someones living room with about 12 people.
    NANCY JO

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Penny,
    I don't. Dave is itching to get it up this week end.
    Hugs,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yes, my tree is up! The Friday after Thanksgiving DH and I tore the carpet out of the living room and Saturday the tree went up!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I do my best to respond to every comment, but if you are a no reply blogger, I sometimes cannot locate your email. Also Anonymous comments are almost impossible for me to reply. But I do appreciate you stopping by!